vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

Noob needs advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
scofield

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey, as mentioned in my intro post i need to replace the rear shocks, i've ordered the new shocks from eurocarparts, they are bilstein ones and it
was £49 for the 2 delivered.

I finally got some axle stands and a trolley jack, before that i had only used wheel ramps and the jack that came with the car. So, before i get stuck in and damage the car, can someone please advise the best place to jack up the rear with a trolley jack? and also where to place the stands? pics would be much appreciated.

Is it ok to use the jack on the official jacking points? in the haynes manual where it tells you how to do the shocks, it tells you to put the axle stands on those points though :s thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 pm

yeah mate just follows haynes he's always right lol
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 6:56 am

2 ways of doing this
first is to jack up with trolley jack using the jacking point that you would put you original car jack and place the axle stands under the torsion beam as close to the trailing arm joint as possible...

but make sure you have a piece of wood or rubber pad between jack and car to avoid paint damage..

second is to use the trolley jack on the torsion beam as close to the trailing arm joint..and put the axle stands under the original jacking point,

but make sure that you have something between the stands and the car,, eg a piece of wood or some sort of rubber pad to avoid damage to the car paintwork..

warning never jack the rear tortsion beam up in the middle with a jack as it can bend the torsion beam.. Noob needs advice Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
scofield

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks for the info, i'll have a look and let you know how it goes Noob needs advice Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
scofield

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Still waiting for my parts to arrive due to easter holidays Noob needs advice Icon_rolleyes had a look under the car though and where you said looks ideal for the stands, right on the ends of the torsion beam where it becomes a solid round section.

As for the jacking, I don't trust myself sticking a peice of wood between the jack and jacking point, so did a little searching and i think i found a good cheap solution...an ice hockey puck! which serves as a 3" x 1" tough piece of rubber which you can cut a notch out of and turn it into a jack pad! so i've invested in a £1.50 puck aswell lol
Back to top Go down
topladz
Admin
Admin
topladz

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:50 pm

good thinking lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.vxzoc.com
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 am

might have to look in to getting a couple of those for my hydraulic jacks..good idea...but let us know if they split or notwhen the weight is on them scofield,, cheers sterl
Back to top Go down
scofield

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:10 am

Sounds quite reliable when done right, found a couple of discussions about it:
http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/149492-jacking-pad-for-trolley-jack/

This guy uses them for the axle stands, but for the jack he said it didnt work very well for some reason. But from looking on the net most people use them on the jacks with no problems.
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/42058.aspx

I'll be trying it on my trolley jack hopefully sometime this week and will let you know how it goes with a few pics.
Back to top Go down
zafgsi

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 10:11 pm

supersterl wrote:
2 ways of doing this
first is to jack up with trolley jack using the jacking point that you would put you original car jack and place the axle stands under the torsion beam as close to the trailing arm joint as possible...

but make sure you have a piece of wood or rubber pad between jack and car to avoid paint damage..

second is to use the trolley jack on the torsion beam as close to the trailing arm joint..and put the axle stands under the original jacking point,

but make sure that you have something between the stands and the car,, eg a piece of wood or some sort of rubber pad to avoid damage to the car paintwork..

warning never jack the rear tortsion beam up in the middle with a jack as it can bend the torsion beam.. Noob needs advice Icon_sad
The zaffy doesn't have a torsion beam, just a trailing rear axle Noob needs advice Icon_razz

I'd jack the rear up using the jacking point and put the axle stand on the sill at the rear where it's reinforced, you will see the part I mean once it's jacked up. Rear shocks are dead easy to change on the zafs.
Back to top Go down
scofield

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:12 pm

I think mine does mate, and the haynes manual confirms it with an underbody view of a 1.8 16 valve zafira.

was hoping to do it this week but we just had a baby! the only thing i was waiting for to do the job was the hockey pucks, and guess what..while i was at the hospital the postman tried to deliver them, left a note saying he left them under the car, but they weren't there when i got back! so some pikeys had them i think! LOL
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:40 pm

zafgsi wrote:
supersterl wrote:
2 ways of doing this

The zaffy doesn't have a torsion beam, just a trailing rear axle Noob needs advice Icon_razz

I'd jack the rear up using the jacking point and put the axle stand on the sill at the rear where it's reinforced, you will see the part I mean once it's jacked up. Rear shocks are dead easy to change on the zafs.

i think you need to rethink that.. take a read..look at the specs..

http://www.autozine.org/Graveyard/html/Opel/Zafira_Mk1.html[/url]

http://www.schwab-kolb.com/opel/en/opel0050.htm[/url]

same goes for the astra gsi ,, i changed the sons about a year ago.. it came from germany..opel.. and the tag on it said part number P V0093174567 .. and there was a big label that read,, Astra G torsion beam..and its exactly the same set up as my zaf..gsi..
Back to top Go down
zafgsi

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:55 pm

It's a version of a traditional torsion beam setup mixed with trailing arm beam!

A traditional torsion beam will have no springs as the torsion bar takes the weight. Anyway I stand corrected it's a type of torsion beam.
Back to top Go down
scofield

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Ok finally got round to doing the shocks, thanks for all your advice.
The puck held up well under the jacking points with a groove cut out:

Noob needs advice Pict1211.th
Noob needs advice Pict1213g.th

Axle stand placed under torsion beam as suggested:

Noob needs advice Pict1212.th
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Noob needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob needs advice   Noob needs advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noob needs advice
Page 1 of 1