please use vxzoc.com

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterGalleryLog inDonate
Site stickers are NOW BACK IN STOCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!
This forum is now CLOSED! Please visit our new site - www.vxzoc.com

Share | 

A disastrous day!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
denzzz28

PostSubject: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 6:36 am

i was so excited today and wake early so i could fit my front eibachs springs, i really thought it was that easy as it took me only 20mins to fir the rears on sunday. and then i found out that it wasnt that easy. so i jacked the car up and took the wheel off and then started to loosen the 2bottom shock nuts and then it started raining.. wait for 15 mins then satrt again, i found out that to gain access on the top strut nut you have to take away both windshield wipers, and the plastic covers under the wipers. mind you the plastic nut that holds the plastic base of the wiper was so difficult to remove and can easily be damage

the most fustrating part was the top nuts!! it wasnt what i was expecting....haynes manual was absoloutely useless!! all it tells you is "take the top nut of the strut" it didnt say that i need a special tool to take the f__k__g thing off. you need to have two sets of spanners to dismantle it (which i dont have) the main nut was 18mm and to counter it you need to have a 9mm socket in the middle of the 18mm spanner. so realizing that i dont have the tool i re-install everything that i dismantled and went to 3 halfords shops, amazingly all 3 shops dont have a single 1/2 drive 18mm socket that is not part of a complete set. out of desperation i bought this bendy spanner, but it didnt work either.. so i gave up and called my friend. he told me that if i cant find the special tool he'll make me one, i just wave to buy a 18mm socket and he will modify it. so i have no choice but to buy it from ebay and now wait

and oh i forgot to mention the f__k__g weather forecast was couldy with sunny interval, it was bloody cloudy with rainy interval!! im sooo pissed! today was the only day i can do the car and now it has to wait another 2 weeks before i can do it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 6:49 am

no just loosen it while the car is on the floor not all the way off but loosen it!!!!!

denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 7:22 am

tomZ20LET wrote:
no just loosen it while the car is on the floor not all the way off but loosen it!!!!!

really!? does the pressure help the strut to stay? the nut does looks really tight though, but ill try that. thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 7:23 am

yeah it will work thats how i done mine have u got spring clamps!!!!

denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 am

yes i have, i have most of the necessary tools aside from that tool for the strut nut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 7:37 am

yeah it will be fine then do it on the floor then jsck it up and loosen it off

supersterl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 8:22 am

Hi denzz28... sorry you didnt get it all done..sorry i forgot to mention that the wipermotor plastic cover had to be removed to get to the top strut nuts, but did mention in my how to that you should partially undo the top nut before jacking car up and use 2 spanners one large ring and one smaller..

hope you get it sorted soon, keep us informed..Sterl

denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 am

no worries mate, my fault really for not reading properly, i guess i got carried away on how easy the rear went, thinking would be the same
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madgezza
Group Buyer
Group Buyer

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 am

as tom says mate when its on the floor just lossen of the top nut (i used a 18 mm socket and didnt need anything to hold the shock) then jack it up and away you go. mines been apart so many times i can do it with my eyes closed lol and the help of an air gun now.

tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 am

lol same as gezza

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A disastrous day!!   Today at 7:11 am

Back to top Go down

A disastrous day!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1