vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??

Go down 
+3
rickard
Moonman
jamesey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jamesey

my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Empty
PostSubject: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

my 1.6 16v w reg zaffy feels like it wants to stall all the time just when im setting off from junctions and things , it drives ok otherwise , is there anything i can check like egr? or air mass? can i clean anything<< , its just had a full service so no probs there , ive noticed a lot of oil around the end of the air mass tube at the back of the engine area , could this be anything? my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_pale
Back to top Go down
Moonman
Moonman

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:54 pm

Take off the air intake from the throttle body and give the butterfly inside the throttle body a good clean with some carb cleaner taking care not to drop any inside the air intake itself. If that doesn't help then you can try a new egr vale although an egr vale would normally throw up an engine management light as well so be carefull before you buy.
Back to top Go down
rickard

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Funny , just been taking to the chap tonight from my local car accessory who's wife's car a 03 ZafiraA[1.6] had the same problem . He sell's the bit that cures the problem and showed me the old one he took off . A silver cylinder that fits to the right hand side of the head , I think it's the EGR .No more stalling and he says it has vastly improved the fuel consumption .He told me [and I've heard this before ]take off the EGR ,make a metal gasket [blanking plate]out of a tin and replace both the gasket and the EGR . If your car improves , that's the problem . The EGR is just over £50 to buy .
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:45 am

Sounds like the common EGR problem. I may get one in in advance for when I get this problem LOL.
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:08 pm

rickard wrote:
Funny , just been taking to the chap tonight from my local car accessory who's wife's car a 03 ZafiraA[1.6] had the same problem . He sell's the bit that cures the problem and showed me the old one he took off . A silver cylinder that fits to the right hand side of the head , I think it's the EGR .No more stalling and he says it has vastly improved the fuel consumption .He told me [and I've heard this before ]take off the EGR ,make a metal gasket [blanking plate]out of a tin and replace both the gasket and the EGR . If your car improves , that's the problem . The EGR is just over £50 to buy .
ive also got a 2.2 tdci mondeo and that had a egr prob , my mate that works at ford just blanked the egr off with a tin can plate and that worked a treat , will it be the same proceedure???
Back to top Go down
rickard

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 5:33 pm

jamesey wrote:
rickard wrote:
............................ .He told me [and I've heard this before ]take off the EGR ,make a metal gasket [blanking plate]out of a tin and replace both the gasket and the EGR . If your car improves , that's the problem . ...................... .
ive also got a 2.2 tdci mondeo and that had a egr prob , my mate that works at ford just blanked the egr off with a t. in can plate and that worked a treat , will it be the same proceedure???

I think so , the chap said the blanking plate is only a tempory measure to verify whether the car improves or not . So ,dont go leaving the blanking plate on . If the car improves , he said his did , no stalling etc then the most likely solution is a new EGR .He replaced it and he says it has vastly improved the fuel consuption . I am considering buying a one for my Zaf as the MPG is not the best .His mileage by the way is 52K , mine is 42K ,so it look's like around this sort of mileage they can fail .
Back to top Go down
Moonman
Moonman

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:29 pm

rickard wrote:
jamesey wrote:
rickard wrote:
............................ .He told me [and I've heard this before ]take off the EGR ,make a metal gasket [blanking plate]out of a tin and replace both the gasket and the EGR . If your car improves , that's the problem . ...................... .
ive also got a 2.2 tdci mondeo and that had a egr prob , my mate that works at ford just blanked the egr off with a t. in can plate and that worked a treat , will it be the same proceedure???

I think so , the chap said the blanking plate is only a tempory measure to verify whether the car improves or not . So ,dont go leaving the blanking plate on . If the car improves , he said his did , no stalling etc then the most likely solution is a new EGR .He replaced it and he says it has vastly improved the fuel consuption . I am considering buying a one for my Zaf as the MPG is not the best .His mileage by the way is 52K , mine is 42K ,so it look's like around this sort of mileage they can fail .

All depends m8, i wouldn't have said the egr valve replacement would have improved fuel consumption as that would be down to the knock sensor and ecu combined. Most likely is if the egr valve starts to fail is the car stalls a lot and/or is pretty bad or lumpy to drive. Once it is replaced then the ecu will realise the car is ok and adjust the fuelling to compensate.
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:39 am

ill try blanking today.
Back to top Go down
daddy-cool
daddy-cool

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 9:10 am

like moonman said, it does sound like your tb's are gunked up.
i would give the idle control valve a clean aswell as your throttle bodies!
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 1:43 pm

can i just replace the egr and it will work ok , my egr on my mondeo had to be programmed in so it would work , also is the egr on the rhs of the engine held on by 2 torx bolts , mine looks like an electrical egr , can i clean this up or still blank it off , what happens if i leave it blanked
Back to top Go down
daddy-cool
daddy-cool

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 pm

no programming involved mate just swap and go! and yes the egr is on the rhs and held by two torx bolts! should have a electrical plug on the top.
Back to top Go down
daddy-cool
daddy-cool

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:57 pm

remove the egr valve
(very simple two torx screws and unplug the wiring plug)
and give it a good clean in carb cleaner!
if still no joy
1 get a coke can and some tin snips!
2 cut the coke can to make a flat sheet of tin
3 put your egr on to it and mark around it to make a template
4 cut it out not forgetting the two bolt holes
5 put your new blanking plate you made under the old egr valve
like a gasket and screw it back up, clip the plug back on, then all should be well

hope that helps
Cheers Liam
Back to top Go down
dnalevy

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 3:50 am

NO NO NO
your throttle body is STILL gunked up
There are 2 breather holes under the butterfly valve of the TB that need to be clear.
ONE OF THEM IS THE SIZE OF A PIN HEAD AND YOU WONT EVEN KNOW ITS THERE BEFORE YOUVE CLEANED THE TB REASONABLY WELL.
Stop messing about with the EGR and get the TB breather holes unlocked.
Youll be best to remove the TB completely to give it a proper clean.
100% solution, overlooked by almost all garages!
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 1:42 pm

mine are clean ive done it but still the same , im trying the egr blank , could i leave it on
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 4:23 pm

ive taken the egr off and there was 2 holes there ive made a plate and blanked the egr hole up and drilled a hole in the plate for the other hole that has a moving part that i can press in so it can move , ive built it back up and it does seem better theres no hessitation at junctions
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

on the motorway today the engine light came on , ive since started the car again and theres no light on , who would reprogramme the ecu not to see the egr.
Back to top Go down
imthedaddy1971
imthedaddy1971

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:04 pm

mine wanted to stall like urs so i just replaced my egr (got it off ebay) and problem solved, IMHO i would stop trying to find away round it and just replacing the egr. you might need to get some one to reset the light tho.
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:46 pm

im just getting rid i think ive had nothing but trouble , im going back to the sharan.
Back to top Go down
rickard

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:01 pm

Well ,if you think blanking the EGR did help I would replace it and that should elimenate any future problems . I was quoted about £50 for a new one , I think it will be worth it .
Back to top Go down
jamesey

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

ive got other problems with the car like leaky heater matrix , petrol smell that i cant sort and the stuttering egr fault , im cutting my losses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??   my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my zaf feels like it wants to stall all the time??
Page 1 of 1