vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

Throttle sticking if changing up through gears

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CFB

Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Empty
PostSubject: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm

I am finding that as in the title, the throttle seems to stick momentarily if I am changing up through the gears at speed. If driven very gently it is ok but if accelerating hard (say on a Motorway sliproad) it holds the revs as I press the clutch which makes the engine race and me seem like a bad driver (which I don't think I am!!).

Is this is a common fault? I noticed it before on one I test drove but the last one I owned didn't do it which makes me think it is a fault rather than a quirk of the car.

(It's a 1.8VVT Petrol on an 07)
Back to top Go down
rick45
rick45

PostSubject: Re: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

CFB wrote:
I am finding that as in the title, the throttle seems to stick momentarily if I am changing up through the gears at speed. If driven very gently it is ok but if accelerating hard (say on a Motorway sliproad) it holds the revs as I press the clutch which makes the engine race and me seem like a bad driver (which I don't think I am!!).

Is this is a common fault? I noticed it before on one I test drove but the last one I owned didn't do it which makes me think it is a fault rather than a quirk of the car.

(It's a 1.8VVT Petrol on an 07)

i used to have a 2004 vectra and a 57 plate astra 17cdti and both of them suffered this problem, vaux put it down to the mass air sensor,
they buggered about with both of them but they never cured either.
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:33 pm

try cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner..maybe the butterfly valve is not shutting properly inside it......
Back to top Go down
nixoro
nixoro

PostSubject: Re: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm

I tried to clean the throttle housing last night and found the butterfly was at a 45 degree angle apologies for the poor description should this be like this? I tried to clean this as much as I could but didn't want to force the butterfly to much as I could hear the motor moving and knowing my luck i'd break it Smile

Which of the pipes is the breather thats recommended to clean looks like a maze on mine lol
Back to top Go down
denzzz28
denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 11:42 pm

Hey nixoro, i had the very same problem, i cleaned my throttle body just like supersterl said. the breather pipe is the one connected to the valve cover (the thicker hose), be carefull when removing this as you could easily rip the edge of the hose especialy if it is old. mine was full of oil and dust and it looked like mud, so clean that too. the throttle body is a bit tricky to clean i used a clean cloth soaked in petrol, i genlty push openned the butterfly just to gain access and clean inside the throttle wall and the underside of the butterfly as much as i could reach. if you are not confident to do that a can of carb cleaner it would do the trick.

the butterfly should be slightly angled but it should have no gap when engine is off, when the engine is on a gap is normal because the engine is on idle rev.

after cleaning put everything back and then start you engine and give it a good rev (maybe 6-7 thousand RPM) for about 1 sec for 2-3 times. that should clear out what ever dirt that drop inside the throttle body.

hope that helps
Back to top Go down
nixoro
nixoro

PostSubject: Re: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:30 pm

denzzz28 wrote:
Hey nixoro, i had the very same problem, i cleaned my throttle body just like supersterl said. the breather pipe is the one connected to the valve cover (the thicker hose), be carefull when removing this as you could easily rip the edge of the hose especialy if it is old. mine was full of oil and dust and it looked like mud, so clean that too. the throttle body is a bit tricky to clean i used a clean cloth soaked in petrol, i genlty push openned the butterfly just to gain access and clean inside the throttle wall and the underside of the butterfly as much as i could reach. if you are not confident to do that a can of carb cleaner it would do the trick.

the butterfly should be slightly angled but it should have no gap when engine is off, when the engine is on a gap is normal because the engine is on idle rev.

after cleaning put everything back and then start you engine and give it a good rev (maybe 6-7 thousand RPM) for about 1 sec for 2-3 times. that should clear out what ever dirt that drop inside the throttle body.

hope that helps

Well I had another look tonight and I am impressed with the wire clip breather pipe design was well easy to take off, compared to the gator clips that I have come across before.

I managed to prise the throttle housing butterfly open enough to hopefully give it a good clean with the carb cleaner.

After refit I left the engine to tick over and it sat at about 700RPM which is what I believe it should sit at.

I hopefully shall feel the benefit from it when I drive it later my only problem now is I think the exhaust has a slight blow and is progressively getting louder Sad

Cheers for the help

Roy Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle sticking if changing up through gears   Throttle sticking if changing up through gears Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle sticking if changing up through gears
Page 1 of 1