vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

Spare key help needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ben
Ben

Spare key help needed Empty
PostSubject: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:23 pm

I annoyingly only got the one key with my Zafira (what do these people do with their spares???!!) and I have found that I can buy a key blank off of ebay and a used Zafira key and combine the 2, after getting the key cut, so I then have a spare and bypass the huge Vauxhall bill.
I have read up about how to programme the remote key so it works the locks, but my question is this; When programming the central locking does the immobiliser chip get programmed as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Ben
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 7:21 pm

i have just done the same for sons Astra gsi.. bought the blade for £8.99 with new transponder on ebay, and a second hand key in good nick for £12.99 on ebay to make a spare...both bits arrived on tuesday..now just need to find out how to program it with my opcom unit...
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 7:25 pm

I hope it works out for you (because then it will work for me! LOL!).

Please let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 7:35 pm

do you have opcom , Ben?
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Sadly no I don't. I was just hoping to use the programming whilst in the ignition method, but I can't see how that would programme the immobiliser.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm

So no one else has tried key programming then?
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:21 pm

you have to have the key programmed by tech 2 at vauxhall or do it by opcom....but you need the security code for your car., which is written on your car pass that you got with your car...unfortunately the sons astra that i got this key for doesnt have it(obviously got lost by previous owner), so today i ordered it from vauxhall ... will take 2/3 days to arrive and it cost £20 incl vat for the card..
then i will code the key next wek and post my results...do you know anyone with opcom..?? Ben
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Ok so let me get this straight (bear with me here Spare key help needed Icon_lol )

The key comprises of 2 parts, the key blade which has a transponder chip that switches off the immobiliser, and the remote which functions the central locking and in my case, the alarm as well.

The remote seems to be programmable by the user, I am guessing this takes into account re-setting with battery changes etc, and seems easy to do.

The key however is a different story and it is the transponder chip that needs to be programmed by Vx I assume? The key blade itself can be cut from the original like any other key I am guessing.

Is my understanding correct? I too have no key card, so now I am unsure of the best and cheapest way to go about getting a replacement.
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 8:54 pm

you are correct...
i think a new key was about £85ish from vx..programmed..by TECH"2 unit..
if you buy the 2 bits of a key for £20 of ebay and had your carpass card for the security code then you could have the immobilser programmed by an opcom unit from a friend for ziltch..cost of having key cut £5 total cost £25.. Spare key help needed Icon_smile

RE CAR PASS /SECURITY CODE
if you know where your car originally came from (which vx garage ) they might have your car on their computer system and this usually includes the car security code..which they will usually supply if you take some form of id and reg document for this vehicle along or to your nearest vx dealer who will call them and get it for you and verify your own this vehicle...
failing this you will need to purchase the car pass security code for £20 from VX.. Spare key help needed Icon_sad

you will need this security code to do any other sort of work on your car that goes through the ecu...if you buy an opcom unit for yourself etc..

if you have no one near with opcom or tech 2 then you would probably be better off buying one straight from VX..or ask them what they would charge to program the key you have bought..
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:02 pm

So if I went the new card route, and got the key myself, and got it cut, I'd be probably looking in the region of £45 plus the programming charge. I'll give them a buzz and see how much that would be and go from there.

Many thanks for your help with this. Got my head round it all now.
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Ben Let us know what you do in the end ... and what the final cost is...Sterl
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Will do!

Good luck with yours too.
Back to top Go down
seanos

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 1:15 am

Sorry to hijack thread but I've also only got one key, but have I've got my card the thing that gets me is on ebay they list keys (without factory alarm ) what differnce does this make?
I've got an Elegance 2.0 DTI 04 plate I've already had to replace powersounder, as this is part of the alarm system does this mean I have a factory alarm ?

Would any auto elec be able to program the key ?
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:15 pm

That is a factory alarm yes.

Seems to be only something that Vx or certain vehicle locksmiths can do.
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Still waiting for my carpass card from Vauxhall to sort out my key ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare key help needed   Spare key help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spare key help needed
Page 1 of 1