vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

new wheels vs speedo accuracy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
denzzz28
denzzz28

new wheels vs speedo accuracy Empty
PostSubject: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:29 pm

someguy from the other zafira forum told me that when i changed my wheel the accuracy of my speedo will change. he said that since the wheel is bigger than the stock my speedo will be 1.7mph less than what its telling me (30mph = 31.7mph). is this true? the diameter of the stock wheel and tyre (205/15/65) and my new ones (215/17/50) are almost the same so i was wondering how it will affect my speedo. sorry guys my math skills are rubbish can anyone enlighten me on this. thanks
Back to top Go down
scottie2065
Trader
Trader
scottie2065

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:08 pm

hi mate, it will affect your speedo but only a minimal amount i wouldnt worry about it. if you have a satnav take the car out for a run and compare the natnav speed against the clock speed.i wouldn't worry about it as you are allowed a 10% inaccurancy. vauxhalls of yesteryear were very inaccurate in my experience. clock reading 150 satnav reading 128mph.
most notably a mk2 astra gte with c20let conversion the clock stopped reading @ 130. sat nav read 158
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecochiptuning.co.uk
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 pm

usually the wheel height remains around the same as the wheel gets larger the tyre walls fitted are smaller,,, just measure the whole circumference of both wheels around the outside of the tyres and see how much difference there is...
Back to top Go down
denzzz28
denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:57 pm

scottie2065 wrote:
hi mate, it will affect your speedo but only a minimal amount i wouldnt worry about it. if you have a satnav take the car out for a run and compare the natnav speed against the clock speed.i wouldn't worry about it as you are allowed a 10% inaccurancy. vauxhalls of yesteryear were very inaccurate in my experience. clock reading 150 satnav reading 128mph.
most notably a mk2 astra gte with c20let conversion the clock stopped reading @ 130. sat nav read 158

i have a tomtom satnav even before i made changes in my car and ive notice that there is always 5-7mph difference between the satnav and my speedo (car 80mph + satnav 75mph). i went to ashford two weeks ago and its the same story with my new wheels and tyres. to be on the safe side i always follow my speedo and not the satnav because i always think that there is a certain amount of delay between the satnav and the satellite. thanks for the input mate
Back to top Go down
denzzz28
denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:06 pm

supersterl wrote:
usually the wheel height remains around the same as the wheel gets larger the tyre walls fitted are smaller,,, just measure the whole circumference of both wheels around the outside of the tyres and see how much difference there is...

yup! they both have the same outside circumference.
Back to top Go down
madgezza
Group Buyer
Group Buyer
madgezza

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 7:08 pm

scottie2065 wrote:

ive been told they dont give the 10% anymore its down to each officer
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:39 pm

denzzz28 wrote:
supersterl wrote:

then the speedo should read exactly the same as before..
Back to top Go down
denzzz28
denzzz28

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:05 pm

supersterl wrote:
denzzz28 wrote:
supersterl wrote:

then the speedo should read exactly the same as before..

thats exactly what i had in mind.
Back to top Go down
scottie2065
Trader
Trader
scottie2065

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 am

to be honest i just go by the speedo as well because in the majority of cases @ 60mph on the clock the car will be going slower.
rule of thumb when dealing with the law is they allow 10% but as Madgezza said its up to the officer. but most officers go by the 10% rule.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecochiptuning.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new wheels vs speedo accuracy   new wheels vs speedo accuracy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new wheels vs speedo accuracy
Page 1 of 1