vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

Hello (and a brake question)

Go down 
+4
topladz
IAN74
steve_ti
T16 Tomcat
8 posters
AuthorMessage
T16 Tomcat

Hello (and a brake question) Empty
PostSubject: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 am

Morning Guys,

I'm new to the forum so hello to you all, I have a 53 plate Zafira GSI, I have a bit of a problem with the read brakes!

I have had a bit of a search and can't find a difinitive answer, the question is: -

When doing a pad change, if you "push" the rear brake caliper piston back into its housing instead of "winding" it, do you completely shaft the auto adjust mech?

I don't know how it works so I can't tell if that will be the case, I'm assuming its some sort of thread/ballscrew arrangement?!

The callipers are this type as I gather there are two types

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Zafira_2.0_2003/p/Car-Parts/Brakes/Brake-Hydraulics/Calipers/?133720621&1&c066ac60212c48890d7f4b30c95a2c072ecda250&BCAL

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Jan
Back to top Go down
steve_ti
steve_ti

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 am

hi mate. no doubt someone with tech info will answer you soon, but just wondered about your username! I take it your a current or previous rover turbo owner??
Back to top Go down
IAN74

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 am

you can by the tool for the caliper in halfords mate for £30 i got one well worth it . hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
T16 Tomcat

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 am

Ah yes, T16 Turbo, well its because I have a heavily modified T16 Turbo lump in a Westfield sprint car, as far as I know its the only Westfield competing with one fitted.

The name stuck from the first forum I ever went on which was a Westfield one so hence the name!

Some pics here http://rhodopsin.co.uk/Other%20Sports/OMS%20Sprint%20-%20Curborough%202010/On%20Track/slides/OMS%20Sprint%20-%20Curborough%202010_080.htm

Jan
Back to top Go down
T16 Tomcat

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks Ian, I have the tool but the pistons wouldn't wind back, bent the T-Bar on the tool trying, I'm wondering if they were already knackered!

Jan
Back to top Go down
topladz
Admin
Admin
topladz

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm

hi and welcome to the bus crew mate

i had to change my rear caliper last month as the handbrake wouldnt just up
so id say pushing the piston in would knacker it up even if you could get the caliper in that is it only cost me £77 for a reburbed one from vx and i got £30 back for giving them my old one
Back to top Go down
http://www.vxzoc.com
steve_ti
steve_ti

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 2:23 pm

T16 Tomcat wrote:
Ah yes, T16 Turbo, well its because I have a heavily modified T16 Turbo lump in a Westfield sprint car, as far as I know its the only Westfield competing with one fitted.

The name stuck from the first forum I ever went on which was a Westfield one so hence the name!

Some pics here http://rhodopsin.co.uk/Other%20Sports/OMS%20Sprint%20-%20Curborough%202010/On%20Track/slides/OMS%20Sprint%20-%20Curborough%202010_080.htm

Jan

That looks awesome mate! I recently sold my rover 600 ti running approx 230bhp. Miss it now though lol
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Yes they have to be turned when rewound..clockwise..try gently tap the piston many times with a small hammer to shock it...and try turning it again..if it still wont budge then it sounds like its seized..time for a new one..(remove the bleed screw to help with rewinding...IF still attached )
Back to top Go down
THE ZAFINATOR
THE ZAFINATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 8:42 pm

hi
try this ,with one and only one caliper off ,push the foot brake down but no alot as you will push the piston out of the seal,then its fubar,if the piston is moving,make sure the handbrake is off and try and wind them in again,if the pads were really low they are hard to get back in as there will be a lip on the piston ,if it works ,make sure when the job is done ,pump the footbrake before pulling the hand brake ,hope this helps
Back to top Go down
T16 Tomcat

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 am

New calipers fitted along with discs and pads, still not 100% happy with the pedal, its long!

I have bled about 2 litres of fluid through so I don't think its air, although I will try some more this weekend!

The brakes work fine, just a long pedal, it does get better if you pump it twice though!

Is there a specific bleeding order, I did it this order OSF, NSF, OSR, NSR. The ususal, start closest to the MC and work back to the furthest away!
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 5:39 pm

no its the other way round... start with the furthest from the master cylinder,making sure that the resivoir cap is off...., why not drain all the brake fluid out and start with a completely fresh lot..sounds like there its still air in the pipes...

TIP... if you only replaced one calliper then you could have clamped that fluid feed hose, right close to the caliper you were removing with mole grips or brake clamp..then you only need to bleed that caliper..
Back to top Go down
Justin R
Justin R

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 2:34 am

hello bud
Back to top Go down
clarky69
clarky69

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Hello and welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello (and a brake question)   Hello (and a brake question) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello (and a brake question)
Page 1 of 1