vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
welcome
vxzoc.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vxzoc.com

vauxhall zafira

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterGalleryLog inDonate

Handbrake adjustment

Go down 
+2
tomZ20LET
topladz
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
topladz
Admin
Admin
topladz

Handbrake adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

how do you adjust the hand brake ive just took the wheel of the passenger side with the hand brake on and the wheel still went round drivers side is ok
Back to top Go down
http://www.vxzoc.com
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 pm

thats not good there is a hole in the centre of the disk were the wheel nuts go u gotta move the disc find the adjuster and move it a few clicks easier said than done!!!! lol
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:19 pm

what rear brakes do you have tomz20let...??? the rear is a disc only on the gsi.....
topladz sounds like you might need to fit a new cable...sounds like its stretched one side.. to adjust handbrake read my how to fit rear brakes the end of the how to explains how to adjust the handbrake...

Last edited by supersterl on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:20 pm

tomZ20LET wrote:
thats not good there is a hole in the centre of the disk were the wheel nuts go u gotta move the disc find the adjuster and move it a few clicks easier said than done!!!! lol

the handbrake adjuster is in the car under the handbrake lever it self..remove the cover under the handbrake and lift the gater to show the adjuster,, 10mm deep socket
Back to top Go down
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 pm

i have just adjusted the hand brake on a zafira that had inbaurd shous in side the disc that exactly how i adjusted it doing it from inside the car isnt a good way to do it cos it stress the cable!!
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:25 pm

the gsi doesnt have shoes...and the only adjuster is in the car...
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:27 pm

same as the 1.6 zaf B..,, my daughter has no shoes..which i just did and put the photos on the how too..and also the astra gsi which is exactly the same..and also my zaf gsi..

Last edited by supersterl on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:32 pm

1.6 elegance did i just done it at work admidly it was a 51 plate so i was thinking there all be the same
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:35 pm

no i think you will find they arent.. alot of them after 2002 only have discs,, and the only way of adjusting is in the cabin..under the handbrake itself tom..

Last edited by supersterl on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:37 pm

good time for you to take a look at your zaf gsi rears..(its a learning circle)...
Back to top Go down
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 pm

ok i aint gonna argue im obviously a service tech who dont no what he is doin.......
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Tom my last comment wasnt meant to be sarcastic, just a general comment saying that we all learn new things everyday...
Back to top Go down
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:51 pm

all im sayin is some of the zafira'a have drums some have disc with the adjuster in side (like you said) there are 5 maybe more diffrent types of disc for the zafira a and b some are inboard disc some are normal disc and pads not all zafiras are the same like heritage on here his is a 1.6 with disc his mate has the same model and has drum tha zafira i worked on about 3 hours ago i adjustered it and the disc
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Tom , im not disputing that either i know that some vehicles have both discs and drums and drums only and discs only..... just stated that the gsi,s only have discs.. not drums ..and the adj is in the cabin..and thats what topladz (Adam) wanted too know , how to adjust his gsi handbrake..

Last edited by supersterl on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tomZ20LET
Merchandiser

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:05 pm

ok sorry its the way u come across!!!
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Tom were both on here to help others with any knowledge we have accumulated..and to make new freinds etc , some times we may agree to disagree, or disagree to agree.. but thats life .. and im sure that some time we will meet up with the group and have a chat and a drink and swap bits and pieces we have learned...
myself im open to learning anything that helps make things easier..for myself and others..as i expect you are too.. so i raise my glass to you and say cheers Tom..looking forward to meeting you personally some day in the near future..Sterl Handbrake adjustment Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Did you sort out your handbrake adjustment Adam?
Back to top Go down
topladz
Admin
Admin
topladz

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:31 pm

not had another chance to have a look yet but ive a funny feeling the caliper is siezed
Back to top Go down
supersterl
Admin
Admin
supersterl

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 pm

so its jack up spin wheel and let the missus press the brake pedal then to see if it stops the wheel or not.......remember that you have to turn the piston clockwise while pushing to wind it into the caliper . a G clamp can sometimes release a seized caliper piston..while tightning ,its turning clockwise too.. but only tighten little by little..or use the brake rewind tool to free it up..apply a little brake fluid around the edge of the piston seating..then if you get it free spray brake cleaner over it to remove the brake fluid..dont spray any wd40 or anything like that on it..
Back to top Go down
topladz
Admin
Admin
topladz

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:45 pm

cheers for that sterl ill have a look at the weekend and let you know
Back to top Go down
zafgsi

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Personally i've never came across any recent modern vauxhall that has rear discs with seperate handbrake shoes. I know my zaf certainly doesn't have them and it's a 51 plate. I also converted my 02 plate astra to rear discs from a y plate cop car that was the same.
Back to top Go down
zafgsi

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Cheers, mate. Strange thing is i did used to have cav sri's but none were a 1992 lol
Back to top Go down
zafgsi

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm

There is no adjustment for the actual calipers apart from tightening the handbrake cable up.

As the rear pads wear down the handbrake travel will increase and to cure it then it's best to fit new pads.

On the caliper where the cable attaches the lever should be free enough to return back to it's stop when the handbrake is released. If the lever is seized you can soak it with wd40 and work it free and then pump the footbrake with the handbrake off and go for a drive to allow the piston to adjust. If after doing this the handbrake is still poor or not working on that side then it's time for a new caliper.

The adjuster inside only adjusts the slack on the cable and should not be used to adjust the handbrake.
Back to top Go down
vxfarney
vxfarney

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:18 pm

there is adjustment, you turn the piston to do it. it would be a bit daft to replace the pads all the time
Back to top Go down
http://ni-vaux.co.uk
zafgsi

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

vxfarney wrote:
there is adjustment, you turn the piston to do it. it would be a bit daft to replace the pads all the time
You don't replace them all the time!!!

They wear down quite slow at the rear and you would hardly notice the travel getting longer. They calipers are on a worm and adjust outwards as the pads wear down, you would need to take the pads out to turn the piston out like you say. Most important thing is the lever on the caliper for the cable to operate is free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handbrake adjustment   Handbrake adjustment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handbrake adjustment
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next